Amazon.com Price: $79.99 (as of 2017-11-21 00:39:39 GMT)
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are
subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at
the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
The Earthmate PN-30 is a high-sensitivity, high-performance, bright-color-screen handheld GPS that offers an unrivaled selection of display options including up-to-date DeLorme Topo USA topographic maps; color aerial imagery, USGS 7.5-min. topographic quad maps, and NOAA nautical charts.
A high-sensitivity, high-performance, bright-color-screen handheld GPS that offers an unrivaled selection of display options. Click to enlarge.
With its 32-channel STMicroelectronics Cartesio chipset and DeLorme ConstantLock technology, the PN-30 acquires satellite signals quickly and retains them in the most challenging GPS environments. Map and imagery displays are lightning-quick thanks to a powerful dual-core processor.
The on-board base map includes major highways and thoroughfares worldwide plus secondary and connector roads in the U.S. Detailed U.S.street and topo maps can be selected from the Topo USA software, which is included in the Earthmate PN-30 bundle.
The PN-30 holds up to 1,000 user-defined waypoints, 50 routes, and 10 tracks. All can be easily received from or sent to the Topo USA software. The device displays both road and trail routes automatically generated using Topo USA. Road routes and direct (point-to-point) routes also can be generated on the PN-30.
Available onboard Flash memory totals 500 MB and the PN-30 also supports high-capacity SD cards (SDHC) up to 32 GB. The 65K-color daylight-readable TFT screen provides clarity in any light conditions including direct sunlight. The PN-30 is WAAS-enabled, waterproof to IPX-7 standards, comes in a rugged, impact-resistant rubberized case, and weighs just over five oz.
GPS for All your Favorite Activities
- Blazing-fast, high-sensitivity 32-channel STMicroelectronics Cartesio chipset
- Dual-core processor for instantaneous map and satellite imagery redraws, even with large aerial imagery files and multiple maps layers
- 360-degree raster rotation sets the PN-30 apart from other common GPS handhelds. With a 360-degree rotation road, building, and other images really are on your left or right as you look at the map and walk, bike or drive
- WAAS-enabled for accuracy within 3 meters
- Supports SDHC high-capacity SD cards (up to 32 GB) for fast and direct map transfer from the included maps discs
- Included. Comes with four discs containing detailed hybrid 1:100k topographic and street maps of the entire USA, highways and streets for Canada and major roads for Mexico. You do not need anything else to hike, geocache, or navigate the backcountry. It’s all in the box.
- Also Included: Sample Certificate. A $40 certificate is included for downloading sample supplementary datasets. Take a “test drive” with any of the supplementary datasets DeLorme offers: high-resolution aerial imagery, USGS 7.5-Minute Quad Map, NOAA Nautical Charts, and more.
- And for only $29.95. Subscribe to the DeLorme Map Library. Get all the USGS Quads, NOAA nautical charts and high-resolution color aerial imagery to layer with your topo and street maps. No hidden charges.
- DeLorme Map Library on Amazon.com.
- The PN-30 is waterproof to the IEC 529 IPX7 standard
- Designed to function in high-humidity environments, including consistent humidity levels over 90%, and in the rain
- The PN-30 has been rigorously tested to function in high-vibration conditions such as off-road driving
- Operating temperature range for the PN-30 is -20 degrees C to degrees C. The PN-30 should function in extreme cold as well as rapidly-changing temperature environments
- No one else offers COMPLETE U.S. hybrid, routable Topographic and Street maps WITH your initial purchase
- In addition, subscribe to the DeLorme Map Library of downloads for all the USGS 7.5-minute Quads, NOAA nautical charts, and Hi-Resolution Aerial Imagery you want. All downloads are accessed through the NetLink tab of your DeLorme software
Serious Quality, Service & Support
- Renowned DeLorme-Quality Maps
- Quality Geospatial Engineering
- Quality Hardware Engineering
- Quality U.S.-Based Customer Service
- Quality U.S.-Based Technical Support and Open Online GPS User Forms
What Else Should I Know?
Features STMicroelectronics Cartesio chipset and updated DeLorme firmware for amazing signal acquisition and retention, map scrolling and redraw–even with multiple layers of imagery, topo and street maps.
Multiple Views of the Same GPS Location
On-device data layering lets you select which map or imagery type to see of your GPS location. Switch among data types to gain a comprehensive view of where you are–it’s revolutionary and provides a whole new level of geographic detail.
Bright Color Screen
Works in bright sunlight to total darkness. Sharp brand screen featuring the latest transflective screen technologies to maximize visibility under a variety of lighting conditions.
Rugged and Waterproof
Conforms to IPX-7 waterproof standard with impact-resistant rubberized housing for a solid grip. Concealed battery compartment with SD card slot.
Easy Exchange of Maps, Tracks, and Waypoints
Exchange routes, tracks and waypoints between the GPS and Topo USA (two-way transfers).
Extensive On-Device Memory
500 MB of available internal flash memory in addition to the pre-loaded world base map. Holds up to ten tracks (10,000 points per track); 1,000 user-defined waypoints; and 50 routes. SD slot also available.
The DeLorme World Base Reference Map
- Preloaded on the Earthmate GPS PN series
- High-level map includes country borders, highways & major roads
- Displays interstates and major highways at scales of 500 miles to 8 miles
- Created by DeLorme’s professional cartographers
A Comprehensive Selection of Supplemental U.S. Dataset Downloads
Provides users of both Earthmate PN-Series GPS receivers and Topo USA 8.0 software with a full year’s worth of unlimited access to the online DeLorme Map Library. Includes unrivaled choices for supplemental maps and imagery. Each adds value by showing specific types of detail.
Map, Imagery and Chart Types Available with the Map Library
USGS 7.5-Minute Quad Maps
- Download through the Topo USA NetLink tab–Use your FREE Data Download Dollars
- Transfer from Topo USA to your PN-30, as needed
- The authentic scanned USGS 7.5-minute paper quad maps
- Show roads, trails, buildings, large natural landmarks & other unique features
NOAA Nautical Charts
- The complete set of U.S. waterway available, including the Great Lakes, Alaska, and Hawaii
- Include numerous aids to navigation, water depths, water body names, hazards, and more
- Great for taking along on boating trips, island explorations, and trips ashore
High-Resolution Color Aerial Imagery
- Available for many U.S. States and select U.S. Cities
- Detailed, color, aerial imagery
- Provide a unique aerial perspective, ideal in off-the-beaten-path environments
- Show roads, trails, buildings, large natural landmarks & other unique features
Sat-10 Color Satellite Imagery
- 10-meter colorized satellite imagery for viewing large geographic areas
- Provides high-level views of vegetation, topography, and large, visible geologic formations on the Earth’s surface
- Natural color satellite imagery derived from merging SPOT 10m panchromatic & Landsat 30m multi-spectral scenes
B&W Aerial Imagery
- Detailed, black & white, aerial imagery
- Provide a unique aerial perspective, ideal in off-the-beaten-path environments
- View logging & 4WD roads, bodies of water, and other natural features from above
The Device Setup Page
The Device Setup Page options let you modify the default settings on the Earthmate GPS PN-30 such as the battery type, backlight settings, and more.
Use to update GPS settings, WAAS status, battery type, and/or USB power setting.
Use to update the device’s color scheme, backlight intensity, and/or backlight timer.
Connect to Computer
Use these settings to change the USB transfer options when sending maps to the PN-30. You can choose to send maps and imagery to the PN-30’s internal memory or to an SD card within the SD slot. Please note: waypoints, routes, and tracks can only be sent to the internal memory.
Use to modify the device’s button press sound, message sound, power sound, turn alert sound, and/or volume of all sounds.
Use to modify the device’s time format, time zone, and/or Daylight-Saving Time preferences.
Use to modify the primary coordinates, secondary coordinates, the datum, the measures, the bearing.
Page Order Settings
Use to change the Page order, add a Page to the Page button sequence, and/or hide a Page.
Owner Information can be added to the device.
The Satellite Page
Once you turn on the Earthmate GPS PN-30, the Satellites Page displays. It informs you of your current GPS status, the number of satellites the Earthmate is acquiring data from, the signal strength, and the GPS accuracy (only available when a 2-D or 3-D fix is obtained).
Satellite Constellation and Signal Graph
Both the satellite constellation and the satellite signal graph display visible satellites and their number (assigned by the Department of Defense).
This screen will display GPS accuracy, in the lower-left corner of the screen, in feet or meters (according to the preference you have set). GPS accuracy is represented on the map by a circle with a radius equal to the GPS accuracy, allowing the user to see a representation of their accuracy in relation to their map scale. The accuracy of the Earthmate GPS PN-30 is 10 meters.
Displays No Fix, 2-D, 3-D or 3-D W when WAAS is available. Appears in upper left corner.
Displays current GPS Time in upper right corner.
Elevation appears in the lower right corner based on current sensor settings.
The battery indicator is a graphic representation of the current available battery power.
To Disable GPS
There are many features on the Earthmate GPS PN-30 that do not require a GPS fix. You can turn off the GPS connection using the Disable GPS option in the Satellites menu.
The Map Page
If a 2-D or 3-D fix is obtained, the Map Page displays the map data available for your current GPS location. If a GPS fix cannot be obtained, the location of your last GPS fix displays on the map.
Earthmate GPS PN-30 comes standard with a base map showing high-level world and mid-level U.S. coverage. The base map cannot be removed from memory.
There are several data types compatible with the Earthmate GPS PN-40:
- Topo USA Maps (blended topographic and detailed street-level maps)
- USGS 7.5-Minute Quad Maps
- High-Resolution Color Aerial Imagery
- NOAA Nautical Charts
- B&W Aerial Imagery
- Sat-10 Color Satellite Imagery
The Compass Page
The Compass Page provides a graphic representation of a traditional floating needle compass. It displays differently depending on if you are navigating (following a route) or tracking. The compass rotates so that the heading is always up. If you are navigating, the compass displays a bearing arrow, which points in the direction of the next stop in the route.
The Trip Info Page
The Trip Info Page contains eight information fields that occupy the entire screen (three information fields display if the Earthmate is in large-text mode). Each field is customizable with one of the many available information field options.
The Find Page
You can use the Find button (the button that displays with a magnifying glass) to search for Waypoints, Points of Interest, Natural Features, Addresses, Coordinates, Streets & Trails, Cities, and more. There are two Find search options:
- Find Near Map Center
Use the Find Near Map Center search option to search for categories of information (such as geographic features, waypoints, points of interest, etc.) near your current map center. The number of search results returned is based on the amount of search results available (not on distance).
- Find By Name
Use the Find By Name search option to search for a specific location, such as a specific address, point of interest, etc. To narrow your search results, you can choose either the Contains or Begins with option to search for results that contain or begin with certain character(s).
The Waypoints Page
You can use the Mark button (the button that displays as a push pin) on the Earthmate GPS PN-30 to mark a waypoint at your current GPS location (or at the current cursor position if panning). Once a waypoint has been added, you can customize the waypoint name, coordinates, symbol, and comments. The device will store up to 1000 waypoints in internal memory.
The Routes Page
There are many ways to create routes on the Earthmate GPS PN-30. You can create a route:
- From your current GPS location to a waypoint
- From your current GPS location to a Find search result
- Between two waypoints
- Between two Find search results
- Between a waypoint and a Find search result
Once you have created a route, view it on the map with the View option. The device will store up to 50 routes in internal memory.
Routing is possible for both walking and in-vehicle situations, using either the direct or road routing settings. On-device routing for road routes should be used for fairly short routes, with longer routes best generated on the desktop in advance and transferred to the GPS. The on-device road routing is fine for cross-town and in-state routes and includes an audible beep warning before each turn, as well as the ability to recalculate routes when you stray off course.
The Tracks Page
Earthmate GPS PN-30 is set to record GPS tracks by default. That means that the device will create a track (“breadcrumb trail”) of your travels until you turn recording off. The Tracks Page lets you save, clear, or follow the current track, or view/follow an existing track. The device will store up to 10 track logs (with a 10,000 point limit each) in internal memory.
The Sun-Moon Page
Use the Sun/Moon Page to view the sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset information as well as the moon phase information for your current GPS location. The current date and time also display at the top of the screen. Additionally, you can adjust the date and time to view sun-moon information for other times.
The Tide Page
Use the Tide Page to view high and low tide information based on a specific time, date, and tide station.
Drawing & Symbol Sets
DeLorme includes an extensive set of symbols within Topo USA. These include symbols from the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer series, survey symbols, cartographic symbols, as well as the ability to create your own custom symbols using the included XSym tool. Complete geocaching symbols included.
The on-device measuring tool lets you measure individual legs or cumulative, multiple legs. Measurements can be made on any of the available data types, including the imagery layers, which allow for precise measurements of property boundaries or for measurements between waypoints. Closing a measurement polygon will report the area of the measurement.
The Earthmate GPS PN-30 is a battery-powered device. It can be powered by one rechargeable Lithium-ion battery or two AA batteries (NiCd, NiMH, alkaline, or lithium). Two AA batteries are included.
The Power button is located at the bottom-right corner of the button area. To turn on the Earthmate, press and hold the Power button for 1.5 seconds. The Satellites Page is displayed by default. To turn off the Earthmate, press the Power button and then press the ENTER button to confirm you want to turn the Earthmate GPS PN-30 off.
The buttons on the Earthmate GPS PN-30 provide you with access to all of the functionality on the device. Each button has a unique purpose:
The IN and OUT button lets you zoom in or zoom out on the map.
The PAGE button lets you scroll through all of the enabled “Pages.”
The MENU button provides access to a multitude of functionalities. Page Menus are divided into top and bottom sections that are separated by a line. The items in the top section are specific to the Page that is currently active. The items in the bottom section are standard menu options, which are available from any Page.
The FIND button is labeled with a magnifying glass and lets you search for a waypoint, address, coordinate, and more. You can search for a location based on its name or its proximity to the current map center.
- Mark Waypoint
The Mark button is labeled with a push pin and can be used to mark a waypoint at your current GPS location or the cursor location (if panning).
- Arrow Keypad
You can use the ARROW keypad to:
- Move the map cursor left, right, up, or down
- Pan the map by moving the cursor on the edge of the map
- Highlight options in menus or lists
- Highlight characters in the keyboard screen
You can use the ENTER button to:
- Select a menu entry or on-screen button/field
- Get information about a point on the map
Use the Power button to turn the Earthmate on and off, to change the backlight settings, or to reset the device
Transferring Map Data to the Earthmate GPS PN-30
The Earthmate GPS PN-30 comes equipped with an overview-level base map showing world and U.S. coverage. While this provides a great view of a large area, chances are you will want a highly detailed view of topographic and street maps for hiking, geocaching, and other outdoor activities. Those can be transferred to the Earthmate GPS PN-30 directly from the four map data discs (West, Central, East U.S. Regions, Canada & Mexico).
Storing Data on the PN-30
The Earthmate GPS PN-30 stores tracks, routes, waypoints, and the base map data in its internal memory. Maps that are transferred to the Earthmate can be saved in internal memory or on a removable SD card (even high-capacity up to 32 GB) located under the battery compartment.
What’s in the Box
Green Earthmate GPS PN-30 handheld GPS receiver with pre-loaded worldwide highway and major road base map, DeLorme PN-30 Edition Topo USA 8 software with complete hybrid U.S. topographic and street-level detail, Certificate for $40 worth of sample supplementary data downloads, USB data-transfer cable for PC-GPS data exchanges, 1-GB SD card, convenient neck lanyard, 2 AA Energizer alkaline batteries, Getting Started Guide, Comprehensive owners’ manual, Serious Tool Sticker.
- A high-sensitivity, high-performance, bright-color-screen handheld GPS that offers an unrivaled selection of display options
- Comes with three discs containing detailed hybrid 1:100k topographic
- Super-high-sensitivity 32-channel Cartesio chipset by STMicroelectronics delivers near-instantaneous signal acquisition
- Includes Topo USA 8.0 PC software for planning before you go
- One-year warranty
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!